The workshop will focus on the status and prospects for advancing climate monitoring, assessment and prediction, with major emphasis on drought. This includes three major themes: (i) improving climate predictions / predictability, (ii) understanding and attribution of drought and its impacts, and (iii) incorporating climate predictions / projections in the development and delivery of drought products. Note that in a departure from past years, the 2008 CDPW will address drought across multiple time scales (weekly through decadal to centennial and longer) and for multiple regions (North America, South America, Africa, Asia, etc.). Thus, papers that assess the role of ocean, land, and seasonal cycle in multi-year droughts as evidenced in coupled models (especially from IPCC CMEP-3 runs) to complement DRiCOMP and US CLIVAR drought working group research results, and that link drought research and societal needs (e.g. the NIDIS program) are strongly encouraged. The results from DRiCOMP investigations and the US CLIVAR Drought Working Group will also be presented and discussed. The Workshop will feature focused oral sessions with a mix of invited and submitted presentations, thematic poster sessions (including an evening reception), and a drought Town Hall discussion. The majority of contributed papers will be presented in poster sessions. The primary focus areas for the workshop will include:
- A review of recent climate conditions and forecasts for week-2 to seasonal time scales.
- A review of prediction practices, predictability, and forecast verification assessments for time scales from week-2 to seasonal, and for lead times from zero to 12 months.
- Status and prospects for improvements in observing, monitoring and simulating drought
- Advances in understanding and predicting present and future droughts, including the contributions of natural and human-induced forcings.
- Drought impacts, products and meeting societal needs.
Instructions on submitting your abstract will be posted on the Workshop webpage. The abstract deadline is "AUGUST 4, 2008". Meeting information, including lodging, registration and other information will also appear on the Workshop webpage:
To sign up to receive future announcements about the 33rd CDPW, see https://lstsrv.ncep.noaa.gov/mailman/listinfo/ncep.list.cpc-cdworkshop