SELECTED SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATIONS
83) G. Kos, A. Ruzhkov, A. Dastoor, J. Narayan, A. Steffen, P. A. Ariya, and L. Zhang, Evaluation of discrepancy between measured and modeled oxidized mercury, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics Discussion, 12, 17245-17293, (2012)
82) J, Sun, H. Leighton, P. Yau, P. A. Ariya, Numerical evidence for cloud droplet nucleation at the cloud-environment interface, Atmospheric Chemsitry and Physics Discussion, 12, 17723-177742, (2012)
81) N. Eltouny, P. A. Ariya, Fe3O4 Nanoparticles and Carboxymethyl Cellulose: A Green Option for the Removal of Atmospheric BTEX, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research (ACS journal), 51 (39), pp 12787–12795 (2012)
80) J. Sun, P. A. Ariya, H. Leighton, M. K. Yau., "Modelling Study of Ice Formation in Warm-Based Precipitating Shallow Cumulus Clouds", Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, in press (doi: 10.1175/JAS-D-11-0344.1) (2012)
79) Didier Voisin, Jean-Luc Jaffrezo, Stéphan Houdier, Manuel Barret, Julie Cozic, Martin D. King, James L. France, Holly J. Reay, Amanda Grannas, Gregor Kos,Parisa A. Ariya, Harry J. Beine, Florent Domine, “ HUmic LIke Substances (HULIS) in Arctic snowpack during OASIS field campaign in Barrow”, Journal of Geophysical Research, in press (2012)
78) G. Snider and P. A. Ariya, Kinetic and Product Studies of the Reactions of NO2, with Hg0 in the Gas Phase in the Presence of Titania Micro-Particle Surfaces, Water, air and soil pollution, 223, no7, pp. 4397-4406, 2012.
77) VF McNeill, AM Grannas, JPD Abbatt, M Ammann, P Ariya, T Bartels-Rausch, F Domine, DJ Donaldson, MI Guzman, D Heger, TF Kahan, P Klán, S Masclin, C Toubin, and D Voisin. “Organics in Environmental Ices: Sources, Chemistry, and Impacts” Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., 12, 8857-8920 (2012)
76) P. Shepson, P. A. Ariya, C. Deal, D. J. Donaldson, T. A. Douglas, B. Loose, T. Maykym, P. Matrai, L. M. Russell, B. Saenz, J. Stefels, N. Steiner,, "Ocean-Atmosphere-Sea Ice-Snowpack Interactions, Changes, and Feedbacks in Polar Regions: A Scientific Challenge for the 21st Century", EOS, TRANSACTIONS AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION, VOL. 93, NO. 11, PAGE 117, 2012
75) Mahamud Subir, Parisa A. Ariya, Ashu P. Dastoor, A review of uncertainties in atmospheric modeling of mercury chemistry I. Uncertainties in existing kinetic parameters – Fundamental limitations and the importance of heterogeneous chemistry, Atmospheric Environment, Volume 45, Issue 32, , Pages 5664-5676 (2012)
74) E. D. Hudson, P. A. Ariya, Y. Gélinas, A method for the simultaneous quantification of 23 C1-C9 trace aldehydes and ketones in seawater, Environmental Chemistry, 8(4) 441-449, (2011)
74) L. Si and P. A. Ariya, The kinetics and mechanistic studies of photoreduction of selected natural thiols, Chemosphere, 84, 68, 1079-1084 (2011)
73) Mahamud Subir, Parisa A. Ariya, Ashu P. Dastoor, A review of the sources of uncertainties in atmospheric mercury modeling II. Mercury surface and heterogeneous chemistry – A missing link, Atmospheric Environment, Volume 46, December 2011, Pages 1-10 (2011)
72) Parisa A. Ariya, Mid-latitude mercury loss, Nature Geoscience, 4, (2011)
71) C. E. Morris, D. C. Sands, M. Bardin, R. Jaenicke, B. Vogel, C. Leyronas, P. A. Ariya, and R. Psenner, Microbiology and atmospheric processes: research challenges concerning the impact of airborne micro-organisms on the atmosphere and climate, Biogeosciences, 8, 17-25, (2011)
70) P. A. Ariya, F. Domine, G. Kos, M. Amyot, V. Coté, H. Vali, T. Lauzier, W. F. Kuhs, K. Techmer, T. Heinrichs, and R. Mortazavi, "Snow: A Photobiochemical Exchange Platform for Volatile and Semi-volatile Organic Compounds with the Atmosphere", Environmental Chemistry, 010, 7, 1–12 (2010)
69) G. Snider and Parisa A. Ariya, Photo-catalytic oxidation reaction of gaseous mercury over titanium dioxide nanoparticle surfaces, Chemical Physics Letters, 49:1-3, 23-28, (2010)
68) J. Sun, P. A. Ariya, H. G. Leighton, and M.-K. Yau, The Mystery of Ice Multiplication in Warm-based Precipitating Shallow Cumulus Clouds, Geophysical Research Letters, 37, L10802, (2010)
67) G. Kos and P. A. Ariya, Volatile organic compounds in snow in the Quebec-Windsor Corridor JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH, VOL. 115, D01302, doi:10.1029/2009JD012391, 2010
66) Parisa A. Ariya, Kirk Peterson, Graydon Snider and Marc Amyot, Mercury Chemical transformation in the gas, aqueous and heterogeneous phases: State-of-the art science and uncertainties, book chapter 15, Mercury fate and transport in the global atmosphere, Pirrone and Mason editors,Springer, pp, 459-501, ISBN: 987-0-387-93957-5 (2009).
65) P.A. Ariya, J. Sun, N.A. Eltouny, E.D. Hudson, C.T. Hayes and Kos,G 'Physical and chemical characterization of bioaerosols - Implications for nucleation processes', International Reviews in Physical Chemistry,28:1,1-32, (2009)
64) D. G. Georgakopoulos, V. Despres, J. Fro:hlich-Nowoisky, R. Psenner, P. A. Ariya, M. Posfai, H. E. Ahern, B. F. Moffett and T. C. J. Hill, "Microbiology and atmospheric processes: biological, physical and chemical characterization of aerosol particles". Biogeosciences, 6: 4, 721-737 (2009).
63) G. Snider, F. Raofie, and P. A. Ariya, "Effects of relative humidity and CO(g) on the O-3 initiated oxidation reaction of Hg-O(g): kinetic & product studies". Physical Chemistry-Chemical Physics, 10(36): 5616-5623 (2008)
62) F. Raofie, G. Snider, and P. A. Ariya, "Reaction of gaseous mercury with molecular iodine, atomic iodine, and iodine oxide radicals - Kinetics, product studies, and atmospheric implications", Canadian Journal of Chemistry, 86(8): 811-820 (2008)
61) R. Du, P.A. Ariya, "The test freezing temperature of C-2-C-6 dicarboxylic acid: The important indicator for ice nucleation processes". Chinese Science Bulletin, 53: 17, 2685-2691 (2008)
60) D. G. Georgakopoulos, V. Despres, J. Fro:hlich-Nowoisky, R. Psenner, P. A. Ariya, et al., "Microbiology and atmospheric processes: biological, physical and chemical characterization of aerosol particles". Biogeosciences Discuss., 5, 1469-1510, (2008)
59) L. Deguillaume, M. Leriche, P. Amato, P. A. Ariya, et al., "Microbiology and atmospheric processes: chemical interactions of Primary Biological Aerosols". Biogeosciences Discuss., 5, 841-870, (2008)
58) Lin Si and P. A. Ariya, "Reduction of oxidized mercury species by dicarboxylic acids (C2-C4): Kinetics and products studies". Environ. Science and Technology, 42: 14, 5150-5155 (2008)
57) C. E. Morris, D. C. Sands, M. Bardin, R. Jaenicke, B. Vogel, C. Leyronas, P. A. Ariya, and R. Psenner, "Microbiology and atmospheric processes: an upcoming era of research on bio-meteorology", Biogeosciences Discuss., 5, 191-212, (2008)
56) L. Deguillaume, M. Leriche, P. Amato, P.A. Ariya, A.M. Delort, U. Poschl, N. Chaumerliac, H Bauer, A. I. Flossmann, C.E. Morris, "Microbiology and atmospheric processes: chemical interactions of primary biological aerosols", Biogeosciences, 5: 4, 1073-1084 (2008)
55) V. Cote, G. Kos, R. Mortazavi and P. A. Ariya, "Microbial and "de novo" transformation of dicarboxylic acids by three airborne fungi", Science of the Total Environment, 340, 530-537(2008)
54) A. Steffen, T. Douglas, M. Amyot, P. Ariya, et al., "A Synthesis of Atmospheric Mercury Depletion Event Chemistry in the Atmosphere and Snow". Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 8: 1445-1482 (2008)
53) P.A. Ariya, H. Skov, MML Grage and M. E. Goodsite, "Gaseous elemental mercury in the ambient atmosphere: Review of the application of theoretical calculations and experimental studies for determination of reaction coefficients and mechanisms with halogens and other reactants", Advances in Quantum Chemistry, 55: 43-55 (2008) (invited)
52) A. Ryzhkov, F. Raofie, H. Niki, G.W. Harris and P.A. Ariya,, "Theoretical and Experimental Studies of the Gas-Phase Cl-Atom Initiated Reactions of Benzene and Toluene", Advances in Quantum Chemistry, 55: 275-295 (2008) (invited)
51) A. Dastoor, D. Avignon, and P. A. Ariya, "Modeling dynamic exchange of gaseous elemental mercury at polar sunrise", Environmental Science and Technology, 42:14, 5183-5188 (2008)
50) R. Mortazavi,C.T. Hayes, P.A. Ariya, "Ice nucleation activity of bacteria from snow compared with organic & inorganic substrates", Environmental Chemistry, 5: 6, 373-381 (2008)
50) A.Steffen, T. Douglas, M. Amyot, P. Ariya, K.Aspmo, T.Berg, J.Bottenheim, S.Brooks, F.Cobbett, A. Dastoor, A .Dommergue, R. Ebinghaus, C. Ferrari, K. Gardfeldt, M. E. Goodsite, D. Lean, A. Poulain, C. Scherz, H. Skov, J. Sommar, and C. Temme, A synthesis of atmospheric mercury depletion event chemistry linking atmosphere, snow and water, /Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss/.,7,10837-10931, (2007)
49) E. D. Hudson, K. Okuda and P. A. Ariya, Determination of Acetone in Seawater Using Derivatization-Solid Phase Microextraction/, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry/, DOI 10.1007/S0021-6-007-132X (2007)
48) E. D. Hudson, and P. A. Ariya, Measurements of Non-Methane Hydrocarbons, DOC in Surface Ocean Waters, and aerosols over the Nordic Seas during Polarstern cruise ARK-XX/1, Chemosphere, DOI:10.1016/j./chemosphere./2007.04.056, (2007)
47) A. J. Poulain, E. Garcia, M. Amyot, P. G. C. Cambell, F. Raofie, and P. A. Ariya, Mercury speciation and reactivity in the high Arcitc on Cornwallis Island, /Geochemica Cosmochimica Acta/, 71, 3419-3431(2007)
46) Poulain A.J., Ni Chadhain S. M., Ariya P. A., Amyot M., Garcia E., Campbell P. G. C., Zylstra G., and Barkay T. 2007. A potential for mercury reduction by microbes in the high Arctic. /Appl. Environ. Microbiol.,/ 73(7): 2230-2238. (*Cover Page) (faculty of 1000 choice) *
45) Poulain, A. J.; Garcia, E.; Amyot, M.; Campbell, P. G. C.; Raofie, F.; Ariya, P., Biological and Chemical Redox Transformations of Mercury in Fresh and Salt Waters of the High Arctic during Spring and Summer /A., Environ. Sci. Technol., /41(6); 1883-1888, (2007)
44) H. M. Hung, P. A. Ariya, The Oxidation of Oleic Acid and Oleic Acid/Sodium Chloride(aq) Mixture Droplets with Ozone: the Changes of Hygroscopicity and the Role of Secondary Reactions, /J. Phys. Chem. A.,/ 111(4); 620-632, (2007)
43) W. R. Simpson, R. von Glasow, K. Riedel, P. Anderson, P. Ariya, J. Bottenheim, J. Burrows, L. Carpenter, U. Friess, M. E. Goodsite, D. Heard, M. Hutterli, H.-W. Jacobi, L. Kaleschke, B. Neff, J. Plane, U. Platt, A. Richter, H. Roscoe, R. Sander, P. Shepson, J. Sodeau, A. Steffen, T. Wagner and E. Wolff. Halogens and their role in polar boundary-layer ozone depletion, /Atmos. Chem. Phys/. Discuss., 7, 4285-4403 (2007).
42) A. Garib, Q, Timergazin, and P.A. Ariya, "Kinetics and product studies of Cl-atom initiated of selected hydrocarbons in the marine boundary layer", Canadian Journal of Chemistry, 84, 1686-1695, (2006)
41) G. Kos, P. A. Ariya, Determination of a Wide Range of Volatile and Semivolatile Organic Compounds in Snow Using Solid Phase Micro-Extraction (SPME), Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 385 (1): 57-66 (2006)
40) J. Sun and P. A. Ariya, Atmospheric organic and bio-aerosols as cloud condensation nuclei (CCN): A review, Atmospheric Environment 40, 5 795-820, (2006). Hot article, top 25 science direct.
39) A. B. Ryzhkov and P. A. Ariya, The importance of water clusters (H2O)n (n=2..4) in the reaction of Criegee intermediate with water in the atmosphere, Chemical Physics Letter, 419, 479-485, (2006).
38) M. A. Engle, M. Sexauer Gustin, S. E. Lindberg, A. W. Gertler. P. A. Ariya, The influence of ozone on atmospheric emissions of gaseous elemental mercury and reactive gaseous mercury from substrates, Atmospheric Environment 39, 7506-7517, (2005).
37) P. A. Ariya and K. Peterson, Atmospheric Chemical Transformation of Elemental Mercury, Mercury in Environment, chapter 13, Kluwer, Nicolas Pirrone (editor), (2005).
36) E. Garcia, M. Amyot and P.A. Ariya, "The relationship between DOC photochemistry and mercury redox transformations in aquatic systems of varying humic content", Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 69, 8, 1917-1924, (2005).
35) E. Garcia, A.J. Poulain, M. Amyot and P.A. Ariya, "Diel variations in photo-induced oxidation of Hg0 in freshwater", Chemosphere, 59(7), 977-982, (2005)
34) P.A. Ariya, A P. Dastoor, M. Amyot, W.H. Schroeder, L. Barrie, K. Anlauf, F. Raofie, A. Ryzkhov, D. Davignon; J. Lalonde, A. Steffen, The Arctic: A sink for mercury, Tellus B, 56, 5, 397-403, (2004)
33) A. Ryzkhov and P.A. Ariya, "Reactions of substituted Criegee biradical with water dimer", Physical Chemistry - Chemistry Physics, 6, 5042-5050, (2004)
32) A.J. Poulain, J. Lalonde, M. Amyot, F. Raofie and P.A. Ariya, "Photooxidation of mercury in the Arctic snow", Atmospheric Environment, 39, 6763-6774, (2004)
31) B. Paul and P.A. Ariya, "Gas-phase reaction of hydroxyl initiated reaction of elemental mercury: Kinetics and product studies, Environmental Science and Technology, 38, 5555, (2004).
30) M. Amyot, F. Morel and P.A. Ariya, "The effect of surfaces on Hg droplets in environmental compartments", Environmental Science and Technolog, 39, 1, 110-114, (2004).
29) F. Raofie and P.A. Ariya, "First evidence of stable Hg+1 in aerosols", Environmental Science and Technology, 38(16); 4319-4326, (2004)
28) P.A. Ariya, A.P. Dastoor 2,M.AMYOT, W.H. Schroeder, L. Barrie, K. Analuf, F. Raofie, A. Rhykov, D. Davignon, J. Lalonde and A. Steffen, Tellus B, Volume 56, Issue 5, Pages 397-403, (2004)
27) P.A. Ariya and M. Amyot, "Bioaerosols: Impact on physics and chemistry of the atmosphere", Atmospheric Environment, 38(8), 1231-1233, (2004).
26) B. Paul and P.A. Ariya, "Studies of O3-initiated reaction of gaseous mercury Hg0: kinetics, product studies, and atmospheric implications atmosphere", Physical Chemistry-Chemical Physics, 6, 572-579, (2004).
25) J.D. Lalonde, M. Amyot, J. Orvoine, F. Morel, J.-C. Auclair and P.A. Ariya, "Photoinduced oxidation of Hg(aq) in the waters from the St. Lawrence estuary", Environmental Science and Technology, 38(2), 508-514, (2004).
24) F. Raofie and P.A. Ariya, "Mercury aerosols in atmosphere", RMZ- Materials and Geoenvironment, 51: 774-778, (2004).
23) B. Pal and P.A. Ariya, "Gaseous reactions of atmospheric oxidants with elemental mercury: kinetics, mechanistic, and atmospheric implications", RMZ- Materials and Geoenvironment, 51: 724-28, (2004).
22) M. Amyot, J.D. Lalonde, P.A. Ariya and A. Dastoor, "Behavior of mercury in snow from different latitudes", Journal de Physique IV, 107, 45-49, (2003).
21) B. Paul, and P.A. Ariya, "Reactions of O3 with mercury in troposphere: kinetics and product studies", Journal de Physique IV107, 189-202, (2003).
20) F. Raofie and P.A. Ariya, "Reactions of BrO with mercury: kinetic studies", Journal de Physique IV, 107, 1119-1121 (2003).
19) P. A. Ariya and A. Ryzhkov, "Activation of mercury on snow surfaces", Journal de Physique IV, 107, 57-60, (2003).
18) A.F., Khalizov, B. Viswanathan, P. Larregaray and P.A. Ariya, "Theoretical Study on the Reactions of Hg with Halogens: Atmospheric Implications", Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 107(33), 6360-6365, (2003).
17) A.B. Ryzhkov, and P.A. Ariya, "A theoretical study of the reactions of carbonyl oxide with water in atmosphere: the role of water dimer", Chemical Physics Letters, 367(3-4), 423-429, (2003).
16) E. Avzyanova and P. A. Ariya, "Kinetic studies of ozonolysis of selected terminal and internal alkenes", International Journal of Chemical Kinetics, 34(12), 678-684, (2002).
15) P. A. Ariya, O. Nepotchatykh, O. Igntova and M. Amyot, "Microbiological degradation of organic compounds in the atmosphere", Geophysical Research Letters, 29, 341-344 (2002)
14) P. A. Ariya, A. F. Khalizov, and A. Gidas, "Reaction of Gaseous Mercury with Atomic and Molecular Halogens: Kinetics, Product Studies, and Atmospheric Implications", Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 106(32), 7310-7320, (2002).
13) O. Nepotchatykh and P.A. Ariya, "Atmospheric degradation of Dicarboxylic Acids (C2-C9) upon their reactions with O3", Environmental Science & Technology, 36(15), 3265-3269, (2002).
12) A. Khalizov and P.A. Ariya, "Stability of XSO2 (X=F,Cl, and Br) radical: impact of the basis set on X-S bonding energy in ab initio and DFT calculations", Chemical Physics Letters, 350(1-2), 173, (2001).
11) Q. Timerqazin and P.A. Ariya, "Kinetics and mechanistic studies of Cl-atom intitated reaction of terpenes", Physical Chemistry-Chemical Physics, 3, 3981-3986, (2001).
10) K. von Salzen , H.G. Leighton, P.A. Ariya, L.A. Barrie, S.L. Gong, J.-P. Blanchet, L. Spacek, U. Lohmann, L.I. Kleinman, "The sensitivity of sulphate aerosol size distributions and CCN concentrations over North America to SOx emissions and H2O2 concentrations", Journal of Geophysical Research, 105(D8), 9741-9766, (2000).
9) S. Coquet and P. Ariya, "The temperature dependence of Cl-atom initiated reactions of selected alkenes under tropospheric conditions", International Journal of Chemical Kinetics, 32, 478-488, (2000).
8) P.A. Ariya, R. Sander and P.J. Crutzen, "Significance of HOx formation in the winter-time: A modeling study", Journal of Geophysical Research, 105, 17721-17738 (2000).
7) P.A. Ariya, H. Niki, G.W. Harris, F. Hopper and D. Worthy "Polar Sunrise Experiment 1995: Hydrocarbon measurements and halogen chemistry in the Arctic troposphere", Atmospheric Environment, 33, 931-938, (1999).
6) P.A. Ariya, J.F. Hopper, G.W. Harris, "Measurement of C2-C7 hydrocarbons in interstitial snow during PSE 94", Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry, 34, 55-64, (1999).
5) P.A. Ariya, B.T. Jobson, R. Sander, H. Niki, G.W. Harris, K. Anlauf and F. Hopper, "Measurements of C2-C8 hydrocarbons during the Polar Sunrise Experiment 1994: Further evidence for halogen chemistry in the Arctic troposphere", Journal of Geophysical Research, 103(D11), 13169-13180, (1998).
4) P.A. Ariya, V. Catoire, R. Sander, H. Niki and G.W. Harris, "Trichloroethene and tetrachloroethene: Tropospheric probes for Cl- and Br-atom chemistry during the Polar sunrise", TELLUS, 49B, 583-591, (1997).
3) V. Catoire, P.A. Ariya, H. Niki and G.W. Harris, "FTIR study of Cl and Br atom oxidation of trichloroethylene at T = 296±2 K", International Journal of Chemical Kinetics, 29, 695-704, (1997).
2) J. Chen, V. Young, P.A. Ariya (Hooshiyar), M. Hurley and H. Niki, "FTIR study of the Cl-initiated oxidation of ethylene oxide", Journal of Physical Chemistry, 99, 4071-4077, (1995).
1) Parisa A. Ariya (Hooshiyar) and Hiromi Niki, "Reaction rate of Cl-atoms with a series of C2-C8 alkane at T = 296±2 K", International Journal of Chemical Kinetics, 27, 1197-1206, (1995).